Tuesday, February 9, 2016
I'd humbly to request you all to consider writing a review for my Christmas album 'A Star Above The Highway' on either CDBABY or Amazon. I really feel the album is my best overall work yet, because it showcases all the musical styles I love, features some great performances by some great friends of mine, and shares the subjects and ideas that are very dear to my heart.
In return, I want to offer one *FREE* MP3 download of any other album of mine that you'd like to have. Please go to either one of the direct links below at CDBABY or Amazon and share your review. Once the review is accepted and posted, please let me know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and also let me know which album of mine you would like to download (Skies and Shadows, Polk County Line, Light In The Rain, Letters From North of Town, or Prayers and Promises)
Sunday, February 7, 2016
- Got autographs from The Valens Family, Tommy Allsup, The Coasters, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Matthew and Gunnar Nelson, and The Holy Rocka Rollaz
- finally got to meet and talk to Bob Hale - original emcee and DJ of the 1959 show
- attended a great lecture by Dr. Jonas Westover on the History of The Surf
- met Sheryl and Sherry Davis - two sisters who are also musicologists from Ohio. They are doing very unique project on The Surf Ballroom and the stories of the fans that come out every year, decade after decades. Their project site "The Surf Speaks" is here: http://www.thesurfspeaks.com/
Such a great time - I'm starting to look forward to next year!
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
I shared a set of Dan Fogelberg's music. As a songwriter, Dan's music was the biggest influence on me, both in his lyrics and his musicianship/composition. He not only had great stories in his songs, but put them together with great melodies and interesting music. Dan did things with his music and his lyrics that I hadn't ever heard done by other songwriters, and that always stuck with me over the years
It was a special night. I so enjoyed sharing songs and stories with everyone. Our good friend Jim Coppoc ran sound and made us sound so very good. I'd have to count it as the most special solo gig I've ever done. Special thanks to Mary Logsdon for hosting us, and to Elizabeth Zimmerman for coming up with the great idea for the series (note: Elizabeth kicked off the series herself last October with a great set of jazz piano/vocal renditions of Beatles tunes.) It is events like this that make me very happy and humbled to be in a local music scene such as Ames' - with people who really support the music and each other.
Here is my set list with clips to listen to. I also included the album info and year if you want to reminisce or look them up. As an added bonus I included ‘Scarecrow’s Dream’ which was in my set list but I omitted due to time.
1. Crow (from Captured Angel, 1976) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8BaYxkRbc
2. Old Tennessee (from Captured Angel, 1976) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhAxBmyWu2c
3. Believe In Me (from Windows and Walls, 1984 - this version live from St Louis in 1991) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8DuDXlZ3nU&
4. Scarecrow’s Dream (from Nether Lands, 1977) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29ZJ4XzzMQ
5. Sweet Magnolia and the Traveling Salesman (from Windows and Walls, 1984) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnuAwMWM5FY
6. Bones In The Sky (The Wild Places, 1990) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P4VnBYAvS4
7. Same Old Lang Syne (The Innocent Age, 1981) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfAxWtcfDUk
8. The Colors Of Eve (Love In Time, 2009) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g6M5hxdJls
9. Forefathers (The Wild Places, 1991) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYbgC2vW9dk
10. Leader Of The Band (The Innocent Age, 1981) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQmkoMZyvOQ&
11. There's A Place In The World For A Gambler (Souvenirs, 1975) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUrDo3WMs8
I want to thank a few people in particular. Clark Bishop - for the great drum feel that nailed the vibe perfectly. Wayne Stewart- for the sweet Nashville/Floyd Cramer-esque piano. And Desi Martinez for the backing vocals
After all these years I still like to rock out every once and a while, so this one is a musical nod to some of the stuff I listened to like VH, Boston etc. And by turning the guitar riff into a piano riff, it ended up sounding a bit like Billy Joel's mid-period rock-ier stuff. A fun song and unique twist on the modern Christmas song.
With Wayne Stewart, Christopher Akers, Nick Gallus and Clark Bishop.
With Wayne Stewart, Christopher Akers, Clark Bishop and Nick Gallus
I'd like to announce the release of my new Christmas CD "A Star Above The Highway". There were a lot of hurdles big and small to cross, and even a few short months ago I wasn't sure if I was going to get this done. But here it is! 14 tracks including 4 brand-new original songs including the title track, "We Are Waiting", "Another Story" and "Iowa Country Christmas". This CD has a very wide range of styles from rock, pop, country, blues, jazz, Americana/roots, and Gospel music. I am very happy with this project and I hope you will be too.
The CD is available for purchase or download at CDBABY, Amazon, Apple ITunes, Google Play, Spotify and other online retailers. In the Central Iowa area it is available at the following stores:
|Ames Vinyl Cafe|
303 Kellogg Ave, Ames IA 50010
|Iowa Music Store|
300 Main Street, Ames IA 50010
|ZZZ Records - Des Moines|
2200 Ingersoll, Des Moines IA 50312
CD RELEASE CONCERT: https://www.facebook.com/events/583094968506475/
Saturday, December 12th 2015 at Christ Community Church - during The Perfect Gift
with special guests: harpists Rachel Greene and Katie Quandt
Saturday, December 12th 2015; 2PM-3:30PM
During “The Perfect Gift” - in Gather 1 venue
Christ Community Church
5501 George Washington Carver, Ames IA 50010
I'm thankful to be featured in this installment with some other great Iowa songwriters. I put on my folk/roots hat for this one, on a turn for a song from back in my repertoire that I haven't pulled out for a long time -- 'Johnny Fire'