Sunday, September 20, 2009

new SoW for 9/20/09 - I'm Keeping an Empty Box

www.ryansheeler.com

I’m Keeping An Empty Box (Lisa Swab/Ryan Sheeler)
VERSE 1
I looked in my closet for something I couldn’t find
Dust had settled over memories I’d left behind
When I was looking the other way, I saw it sitting there
I touched it, felt it, waiting...waiting just to share
CHORUS
I’ve been keeping an empty box on a shelf inside my heart
I never meant to keep it here, open and set apart
What’s inside this empty box that’s been singing a silent song?
Waiting for someone to listen to my heart all along
VERSE 2
This closet hides a lot of things – masking tape and a corded phone
Just like the space inside of me – they’re things I didn’t own
I’ve forgotten all about them along with love and time
To see them with the memories brings a tear to my eye
CHORUS
BRIDGE
Boxes full of empty spaces, filled with laughter now empty faces
Smiling now, begin the traces of love that fills the empty spaces
VERSE 3
I’ve forgotten how much of this closet I’ve never seen
Never take a look around or even had time to clean
A broken sewing machine lies in an empty space
Its broken wheel reflects… reflects a certain face
Of a little child who wanted to be loved
Now you’re here in my arms sent from up above
CHORUS 3
I’ve filled the empty box that was inside my heart
Hope gives way to something more, open and set apart
What’s inside this empty box that’s been singing a silent song?
Waiting for someone to listen to my heart all along

No comments:

Post a Comment