Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Heart of the Matter - Summer 2009 Reflections "If God is for us, who could be against us?"

...this is Walter Concrete speaking.... lol (Good Morning Vietnam reference!) ;)

Now that its October (wow did the seasons change fast or what???), I thought I'd take a little time and reflect on the summer that was or was not.

Let's back track.

Fall of 2008... I composed the entire orchestral score to my church's Christmas musical in about two months. ugh! Creative burnout...but in a GOOD way. Meanwhile I was still in a job drought that began all the way back to summer of 2006. Lo and behold I did land a job but soon found that I perhaps shouldn't have taken it, as the fit was not good at all (it was a non-fit, actually lol!)

OK on to 2009...after the creative hi-functioning period that was 2008 (2nd solo album, wrote a book, and scored a musical all in 12 months!), I promised myself that I would take action to make myself less busy. Which is a Catch 22 -- I'm at my best when I'm insanely busy, but I HATE myself for it! It affects my spiritual health too :(

So anyway....I did manage to meet a special someone during this time and it would appear that 2009 was going off swimmingly....but all of the sudden my entire life came crashing down. First got laid off from the job - which was both a HUGE relief (cuz I hated it), and also a huge blow to my self-esteem cuz you think you're not good enough any more. Being wired such as I am, the news was a blow to other facets of my life. My girlfriend and I broke up, family stress and financial worry seemed on the increase and more. wow...what a summer! So I spent the last part of the summer with a broken heart and spirit. all of the sudden I felt so alone in my own skin I often wondered "what next God" "ok, is this the end? Are you calling' me home God? because I really don't feel like living right now"

More than 3 months later, I'm doing ok, but wow... its all a blur....God has stood there with me when I didn't wanna stand any more. but I can still say this "God is God, and He's my God, and I am His Child!". All the wrong I've done, He's still My God. :) As the Bible says "if God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)

Keep the faith, keep praying, keep dreamin', and keep loving. Never EVER forget to tell someone "I love you" -- there's someone in your life or in your path EVERYDAY that needs to hear that from you. Family, friendships, and time are too precious for you to miss the opportunities.

A song that I keep coming back to over the years is Don Henley's The Heart of the Matter. I play this song at every solo appearance I make. Henley is my #1 influence as a singer, and a huge influence on my songwriting as well. This song rings so true for me all the time anymore.

I've played this song for 10 years now, and I've played it *for* many people and *with* many people. I'll never quit playing or performing this song...because someone needs to hear it even if its just yourself that you need to forgive!

Blessings, R

The Heart of The Matter - Don Henley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgUuHl2xJo

and remember...

"if God is for us, who can be against us?"

34 comments:

  1. Can I post your post to my blog? I will add a backlink to your forum. That¡¯s one very cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just saw another message in another blog that looked like this. How do you know all this stuff? That¡s one cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing that i have been exploring temporarly for a pleasant study with reference to this one topic . Researching in Yahoo I lastly came across this web site. Reading these details I am relieved to convey that I get a good uncanny feeling I came across precisely what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to remember this web-site and check it out consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a problem with the premise of your post but I still think its pretty useful. I still really like your writing style. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think I am going to bookmark this one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to find this information. I have been searching in Google for long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good opinion. How did you came up like this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you totally. Please write more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is good info! Where else can if ind out more?? Who runs this joint too? Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you write and also the theme on your blog. Did you code this yourself or was it done by a professional? I'm very very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometime I will have to read more of your posts, this is something worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there.. I am quite new to wordpress and I been doing some browsing to get some ideas. Your wordpress blog definitely has given me some inspiration. Thanks a lot for that! BTW, just bookmarked your %BLOCKTITLE% .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the opinions expressed here! How is everyone? Love how everyone expresses whatr they feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you totally. Please write more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Appreciate your inforamtion. It is just too greeeeat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent indeed. I have been looking for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading your blog I had to email the link to several of my friends. We enjoy reading about this and really like your blog. We hope you keep it updated or write more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Appreciate your inforamtion. It is just too greeeeat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry for the huge review, but I'm really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it's the right choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I love your post and it was so fabulous and I am gonna save it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis this article has is greatly remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Bravo :) Just one more tip you caninstall a Translator Application for your Global Readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have seriously dropped everything of value to me today. Phone, ipod, camcorder...my freakin' guitar! Wtf is going on!?

    ReplyDelete
  23. My job is accountable for release all kinds of comment and encourage merchandise of organization,will read a good deal of content every single day,It is really great that your article cease my step to seriously examine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific job, this information is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent job! I found your blog using google. I am going to tell my wife about your blog later.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is really nice blog, I've added that into my RSS reader. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a student willig to become a math teacher. Excellent job! I found your blog using google. I am going to tell my wife about your blog later.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just stumbled upon your site and i truly saved it accommodating,you’ll be rewarded to your efforts,2$4

    ReplyDelete
  30. Keep the faith, my Internet friend, You are a first-class writer and deserve to be heard.

    ReplyDelete